Retiree Health & Welfare
Retiree Health and Welfare Benefit Summaries
In order to qualify for Retiree Eligibility, a Participant must meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Has sufficient hours of contributions at the master rate made to the Fund to satisfy the eligibility requirements for a Regular, Early, or Disability Pension from the Pension Fund;
- Has not had a Separation from Employment unless, after the Separation from Employment has worked at least 6,000 hours in covered employment for which contributions were made to the Fund (or in certain circumstances 5,000 hours if the Participant becomes totally and permanently disabled.) A Separation from Employment means the Participant fails to work at least 500 hours for a signatory employer during a period of three consecutive Plan Years, or is employed as an Operating Engineer for a non-signatory employer who is doing Operating Engineer work but not making contributions to the Fund;
- Has at least 3,000 hours of contributions made to the Fund on his behalf as an Active Employee at the then-existing master rate;
- Has refrained, at all times after retirement, from any employment for a non-contributory employer if that employer performs Operating Engineer work;
- Has been eligible for Active Health and Welfare benefits for at least two of the eight consecutive Eligibility Quarters immediately preceding his pension effective date. However, if the Participant has worked 30,000 or more hours in contributory employment, he must have been eligible for at least three of the twenty consecutive quarters preceding his pension effective date. This requirement is different for Pro-Rata or Reciprocal pensioners.
- Makes the required monthly self-payment for coverage in a timely manner. The self-payment amounts are set by the Trustees and are subject to change from time to time. Self-payments may be deducted from the Retired Employee’s pension check, paid by credit or debit card through the Fund’s secure premium payment portal at www.oefi.org or by check mailed directly to the Fund Office.
- Is not engaged in any type of gainful employment and covered or eligible to be covered by group health insurance through that employment or continuation coverage under COBRA through that employment;
- Within five years prior to retirement, must have been eligible for at least three Eligibility Quarters under the Active Plan. At least 3,000 hours is required for minimum coverage (3,000 hours provides two years of coverage).
During December each year, the Plan holds an open enrollment period for Retiree Eligibility. If you are eligible to enroll in the Plan and are not currently enrolled, you will automatically receive open enrollment information.
Coverage for Participants who elect to enroll during the open enrollment period will not begin until April 1, but the Participant must make the required premium payments for January through March. Any charges incurred between January 1 and March 31 will not be covered.