What happens if I discover that a provider of service has overcharged?

If a provider of service has overcharged, you should notify the Fund Office immediately and the Fund Office will investigate the matter. If, in fact, an error has occurred you may also be entitled to receive 50% of any amounts recovered as a result of that error with a maximum payment of $1,000. If the Fund Office has already discovered and resolved the problem, you will not be entitled to 50% of the amount recovered. This policy does not apply to PPO-contracted hospitals.

Posted in: Health & Welfare